Subject/ Verb Inversion


Subject/ Verb Inversion


Normal sentence:  I understood the lessons.
Inversion: Did you understand the lessons?

Normal sentence: You like shopping?
Inversion: Do you like shopping?

Negative adverbs
Never
Never have I been in such an embarrassing situation before.
Seldom
Seldom does he calls me.
Hardly
Hardly could I believe that he was a thief.
Rarely
Rarely can she eat such delicious food.

Adverbs phrases
Not only … but also
Not only did he write the book but he also designed the cover.
No sooner … than
No sooner had he arrived home than it rained.
Only when
Only when he needs me does he calls me.
Here and there
Here
Here comes the teacher!
There
There stood a statue.


Conditional sentences

Normal sentence: If he had informed me earlier, I would have helped him.

Inversion: Had he informed me earlier, I would have helped him.

 

Normal sentence: If she had left sooner, she wouldn’t have got wet in the rain.

Inversion: Had she left sooner, she wouldn’t have got wet in the rain.

 

Structure: “So + Adj … that”

Normal sentence: Jim was so kind that everybody loved him.

Inversion: So kind was Jim that everybody loved him.

Normal sentence: The cartoon was so funny that all the kids laughed.

Inversion: So funny was the cartoon that all the kids laughed.



-->
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment